Statewide Initiative to Improve Sexual Assault Survivor Support Coming to South LA

sexual assault survivor support in Inglewood and Compton, California First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom initiative, South Los Angeles sexual assault resources, Working Group on Support for Survivors of Sexual Assault, YWCA Greater Los Angeles crisis services, St. Francis Medical Center SART, trauma-informed practices for sexual assault survivors

California First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom released a comprehensive report Tuesday outlining a statewide initiative to improve support for sexual assault survivors, which will affect resources and services available to residents in Inglewood, Compton, and throughout South Los Angeles.

The Working Group on Support for Survivors of Sexual Assault, established in 2023 and co-chaired by Siebel Newsom, aims to enhance access to survivor care and implement trauma-informed practices across various systems that interact with sexual assault survivors.

“This report is more than a summary of where we are,” Siebel Newsom said at the press conference. “It is a roadmap of where we must go.” Siebel Newsom, who has previously spoken about her own experience as a sexual assault survivor, has made this initiative a personal priority.

For communities across South Los Angeles, including Inglewood and Compton, the recommendations could lead to improved resources and support services for survivors, as well as better training for law enforcement and judicial officials who handle sexual assault cases in these areas.

The working group’s recommendations include comprehensive education about sexual violence, training for schools to identify signs of violence, and implementing policy changes based on survivor feedback. The initiative also emphasizes the need for culturally specific and language-accessible support systems, which is particularly important in diverse communities like Inglewood and Compton.

“I believe this report will be the impetus for all of us to become warriors to combat and end sexual assault once and for all. In America, across our globe, but particularly here in California,” said Nancy O’Malley, co-chair of the working group and former district attorney of Alameda County.

O’Malley cited alarming statistics in the report: one in five women reports being sexually assaulted in their lifetime, and over 50% of assaults are perpetrated by someone the victim knows. The Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network reports that approximately 97% of perpetrators face no consequences and remain free.

For South Los Angeles residents, resources are available through USC’s CARE-SC program, a confidential advocacy and support unit within the USC Keck School of Medicine that supports survivors of sexual violence. The university’s Office for Equity, Equal Opportunity, and Title IX (EEO-TIX) also provides a place to report discrimination and harassment.

The St. Francis Medical Center in Lynwood, which serves many Inglewood and Compton residents, offers Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) services, providing specialized care for sexual assault survivors. Additionally, the YWCA Greater Los Angeles operates a 24-hour crisis hotline and provides counseling services to survivors in the South Los Angeles area.

Siebel Newsom emphasized the broader social impact of supporting survivors: “When we invest in justice, prevention and care, we are not just helping individual survivors. We are building a healthier, safer, more resilient society.”

Local organizations serving Inglewood and Compton communities are expected to receive additional support and resources as the state implements the recommendations outlined in the report. Community members interested in learning more about these resources can contact their local victim services agencies or visit the California Governor’s Office website.