Government Shutdown Reaches Day 27: SNAP Benefits to Stop November 1, Threatening Food Security for Inglewood Families
The federal government shutdown entered its 27th day Monday, becoming the second-longest in U.S. history, as the Department of Agriculture announced that Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits will not be issued on November 1, threatening food security for thousands of families in Inglewood, Compton, and across Los Angeles County.
“Bottom line, the well has run dry,” a USDA spokesperson stated in a notice posted to the agency’s website, marking a critical turning point in a shutdown that has already furloughed 900,000 federal employees and left another 2 million working without pay.
The announcement has sent shockwaves through Southern California’s social services network, with food banks and community organizations bracing for an unprecedented surge in demand as November approaches.
“This is catastrophic for our community,” said Rev. James Morrison of Inglewood Community Food Pantry, which serves more than 400 families weekly. “SNAP benefits keep food on the table for working families, seniors, and children. Without those benefits, we’re looking at a humanitarian crisis right here in our own backyard.”
In Los Angeles County alone, more than 1.4 million residents receive SNAP benefits, with Inglewood and Compton among the communities where food assistance programs serve as a critical lifeline. The average SNAP benefit in California is approximately $200 per person per month—funds that suddenly disappearing would force families to choose between food, rent, and other essential expenses.
The shutdown began October 1 after Congress failed to pass appropriations legislation for the 2026 fiscal year. The impasse centers on Republican demands for a short-term funding resolution at current levels, while Democrats insist on including additional spending for health care protections, particularly an extension of enhanced Affordable Care Act tax credits.
A GOP-backed funding bill has failed to pass the Senate 11 times since the shutdown began, with the most recent vote occurring Monday evening. White House economic advisor Kevin Hassett predicted last week that the shutdown would “likely end sometime this week,” but no breakthrough has materialized.
The impact extends beyond SNAP benefits. Since the shutdown began, the Federal Aviation Administration has reported 192 staffing shortages at air traffic control facilities—more than four times the number seen on comparable days last year. This has caused significant flight delays at Los Angeles International Airport and other major hubs, affecting travelers and airport workers.
Federal workers at LAX, including Transportation Security Administration agents and customs officers, have now missed their first full paychecks. Many have been forced to seek second jobs or rely on emergency assistance programs themselves.
“I’m screening passengers to keep them safe, but I don’t know how I’m going to pay my rent,” said a TSA agent at LAX who requested anonymity. “We’re told to keep showing up, keep working, but there’s no paycheck. How is that sustainable?”
Community organizations in Inglewood are mobilizing emergency response efforts. The Inglewood Unified School District announced it would expand its free meal program to serve any child under 18 throughout the shutdown, regardless of school enrollment. Several churches have launched emergency food drives to stock local pantries.
The Los Angeles Regional Food Bank is coordinating with local distribution sites to prepare for increased demand, but officials warn that community food resources are already stretched thin.
“We’re doing everything we can to ramp up capacity, but if SNAP benefits stop, we’re talking about potentially 100,000 additional people seeking emergency food assistance in our region,” said Michael Flood, CEO of the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank. “That’s beyond anything we’ve ever managed.”
The economic ripple effects are already being felt. Local grocery stores report that customers are making smaller purchases and prioritizing staples. Small businesses that rely on federal contracts have begun laying off workers. Tax refunds are delayed, and federally backed mortgage approvals have ground to a halt.
Political pressure is mounting on both parties to resolve the standoff. Los Angeles area representatives, including Congresswoman Maxine Waters, have called for immediate action to restore funding and prevent the SNAP benefits lapse.
“This is unconscionable,” Waters stated in a press conference Monday. “Congress must put aside partisan differences and reopen the government immediately. Families cannot wait. Children cannot wait.”
For Inglewood residents affected by the shutdown—whether as federal workers, SNAP recipients, or small business owners facing delayed contracts—community support resources are available. The Inglewood City Hall has compiled a list of emergency assistance programs, food pantries, and free legal clinics for federal workers facing financial hardship. The information is available at the city’s website and community centers throughout the city.
As the shutdown continues with no end in sight, the message from community leaders is clear: the time for political posturing has passed, and the human cost is mounting with each passing day.