Compton’s DeRozan Under Investigation Following Altercation at Calabasas Restaurant

DeMar DeRozan Compton incident, NBA star altercation Calabasas, DeRozan sushi restaurant confrontation, Compton basketball star investigation, Los Angeles County Sheriff DeRozan, Sacramento Kings player Compton native, DeRozan fan altercation video

Sacramento Kings forward and Compton native DeMar DeRozan is under investigation following an alleged physical altercation at a sushi restaurant in Calabasas, California, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

The incident reportedly took place late Friday night around 11:26 p.m. at Yume Sushi Bar, garnering attention after video footage of the confrontation circulated online.

DeRozan, who rose to NBA stardom from his roots in Compton, was allegedly involved in a dispute with a fan that escalated after the individual approached him and shined a phone flashlight in his face, according to witnesses at the scene.

Video obtained by TMZ shows an apparent confrontation between DeRozan and an unidentified man inside the establishment. A woman can be heard shouting “Let him go” as tensions escalated. According to witnesses, the altercation began when the fan approached DeRozan with the flashlight, which led to DeRozan knocking the phone down.

The NBA star then reportedly told the man to step back and walk away. When the fan asked for his phone back, the situation escalated further. The video shows the man on the ground attempting to retrieve his phone as DeRozan confronts him. Eventually, a woman in a sweatsuit pulls the two apart.

According to Basket News, subsequent reports indicated that the altercation caused commotion and property damage inside the restaurant.

Deputies from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said they are actively investigating the situation, but no further details have been released at this time. So far, there have been no announcements regarding arrests or official charges, and it remains unclear whether DeRozan could face any criminal action. The Sacramento Kings have not yet commented on the incident.

DeRozan’s connection to the local community runs deep. Born and raised in Compton, he developed his basketball skills at Compton High School, where he played on the varsity team all four years. According to Lines, he averaged over 29 points per game in his senior season and was named an All-American, competing in prestigious showcases like the McDonald’s All-American Game and the Jordan Brand Classic.

“DeMar has always been a role model for kids in Compton,” said Marcus Johnson, a youth basketball coach at Compton High School. “Whenever he comes back to visit, he makes time for the community. This incident is surprising given his usually calm demeanor.”

After his standout performance in Compton, DeRozan chose to stay close to home for college, attending the University of Southern California. As a five-star recruit, he had an impressive sole season with the USC Trojans, starting all 35 games and helping the team win a Pac-10 Conference Championship before declaring for the NBA Draft.

DeRozan was selected ninth overall by the Toronto Raptors in 2009. By his fifth season, he had established himself as a steady offensive player and made his first All-Star team in 2014. He later signed a $139 million deal with the Raptors in 2016 before eventually being traded and ultimately landing with the Sacramento Kings, where he currently plays.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.