LAHSA Refuses to Release Records on $800,000 Wrongful Termination Settlements

LAHSA transparency in Inglewood, homeless services Los Angeles County, LAHSA public records controversy, Inglewood homelessness programs, LAHSA settlements taxpayer funds, Los Angeles homeless services accountability, Inglewood housing initiatives transparency, LAHSA whistleblower claims

The Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority (LAHSA) is refusing to release public records about $800,000 in taxpayer-funded settlements related to wrongful termination claims, raising concerns about government transparency that could impact how homelessness services are administered throughout the region, including in Inglewood.

According to reporting by LAist, LAHSA officials have declined to provide documents about allegations of high-level wrongdoing—including whistleblower retaliation—that led to substantial settlements with two former executives who left the agency in 2024: former chief financial and administration officer Kristina Dixon and data and IT director Emily Vaughn Henry.

For Inglewood residents, many of whom are served by LAHSA’s homelessness programs and whose tax dollars help fund the agency, this lack of transparency raises questions about accountability in how homelessness services are managed across Los Angeles County.

Inglewood has worked closely with LAHSA on several homelessness initiatives in recent years, including the implementation of housing voucher programs and coordination of outreach services for unhoused individuals in the city. LAHSA’s countywide operations directly impact local efforts to address homelessness in Inglewood neighborhoods.

Public records attorneys consulted by LAist have criticized LAHSA’s decision as “unlawful,” stating that these types of records must be disclosed under the California Public Records Act, especially after settlements have been finalized and public funds disbursed.

“The records clearly should be available to the public,” said David Loy, a public records attorney at the First Amendment Coalition, who called LAHSA officials’ decision “unlawful.”

Another public records attorney, Kelly Aviles, noted the dangerous precedent such refusals could set: “Imagine if it were otherwise. Just imagine, employees could make allegations and claims about wrongdoing by an agency…and an agency could pay out hundreds of thousands of dollars—sometimes even millions of dollars—and nobody would ever know why?”

The settlements and records refusal come during the first year of leadership under LAHSA Chief Executive Va Lecia Adams Kellum. The agency’s governing commission includes Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass and appointed city and county officials.

For context, LAHSA is a joint powers authority created by the City and County of Los Angeles to coordinate homeless services across the region. The agency administers millions in funding that directly affects homeless response efforts in communities throughout the county, including Inglewood.

The Inglewood City Council has previously partnered with LAHSA on several initiatives to address local homelessness. Community advocates have emphasized the importance of transparency in ensuring these programs effectively serve vulnerable residents.

“When agencies like LAHSA withhold information about significant settlements involving public funds, it undermines trust in the entire system of homeless services,” said a local housing advocate who works with unhoused residents in Inglewood. “Transparency is essential for maintaining public confidence in these critical programs.”

LAist began requesting the records over a month ago after seeing a meeting agenda indicating the claims would be discussed at LAHSA’s March 11 commission meeting. The meeting minutes show the commission settled the claims and stated information would be “available upon request.”

This story draws on reporting by Nick Gerda for LAist, published April 16, 2025.