Zelenskyy Welcomes U.S. Proposal for Comprehensive Ukraine-Russia Ceasefire

news 3 zelenski

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy announced Thursday that his government welcomes a United States proposal to extend ceasefire negotiations to include ground operations in Ukraine, marking what could be a turning point in the ongoing conflict with Russia.

In a statement shared on social media platform X, Zelenskyy revealed details of the diplomatic discussions that have been taking place behind the scenes: “Ukraine was ready for an air and sea ceasefire, but the U.S. proposed extending it to land. Ukraine welcomes this proposal.”

Zelenskyy’s Diplomatic Approach

Zelenskyy’s announcement represents a significant shift from his previous insistence on full Russian withdrawal from Ukrainian territory before any ceasefire could be considered. His statement suggests a new openness to interim solutions that could halt the violence while broader peace terms are negotiated.

“The control of such a ceasefire remains an important issue, and we appreciate the United States’ willingness to organize the technical aspects of such control,” Zelenskyy added, indicating that enforcement mechanisms remain a key concern for his government.

The Ukrainian leader also expressed gratitude for both countries’ diplomatic teams, whose efforts he credited with securing the resumption of U.S. military and intelligence aid to Ukraine, which had been delayed for months.

Context of Zelenskyy’s Announcement

Since taking office in 2019, Zelenskyy has transformed from a political outsider and former comedian to a wartime leader who has garnered international attention and support. His leadership during the conflict has been marked by passionate appeals to Western nations and steadfast resistance to Russian aggression.

“Zelenskyy’s willingness to consider this ceasefire proposal demonstrates his pragmatic approach to ending the suffering of Ukrainian civilians,” said Dr. Amanda Richardson, senior fellow at the Wilson Center’s Ukraine Initiative. “After years of conflict, his administration appears to be balancing principled defense of sovereignty with practical paths toward de-escalation.”

The announcement comes at a challenging time for Ukraine’s military, which has faced significant pressure along the eastern front in recent months amid ammunition shortages and manpower concerns.

International Reactions to Zelenskyy’s Statement

Following Zelenskyy’s announcement, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio indicated that the United States would continue to support Ukraine throughout the ceasefire process.

“President Zelenskyy has shown courage and wisdom in his approach to these complex negotiations,” Rubio said during a press briefing in Washington. “The United States remains committed to Ukraine’s security and sovereignty.”

European leaders have also responded to Zelenskyy’s statement. German Chancellor Olaf Scholz called it “an important step toward peace in Europe,” while French President Marine Le Pen emphasized that “any agreement must respect international law and Ukraine’s territorial integrity.”

Next Steps in the Process

Zelenskyy’s announcement coincides with the arrival of U.S. special envoy Steven Witkoff in Moscow, where he is reportedly scheduled to meet with Russian President Vladimir Putin to discuss the proposed ceasefire terms.

According to Russian presidential aide Yury Ushakov, a final decision on the proposal will be made by Putin after these discussions. The Kremlin has not yet officially accepted the ceasefire terms endorsed by Zelenskyy.

Zelenskyy is expected to address the Ukrainian parliament in the coming days to provide more details on the proposed ceasefire arrangements and what they would mean for territories currently under Russian occupation.

The Inglewood Times will continue to follow developments in this story as President Zelenskyy navigates this critical diplomatic juncture.